Sunday, November 21, 2010

Show me some Thanksgiving ATTITUDE, people!

Today I'm thankful that the check-in person in security at Miami International Airport is a joyous black woman who calls everyone "sweetie', "honey" and "baby". She says "That's YOUR birthday? You lookin' GOOD!" when she checks the I.D. of an elderly gentleman, and "That's what I'M talkin' about!" when she checks out an impossibly luscious young Latina. Only the most cynical can keep from smiling... and we all forget, just for a moment, that we're snaking through a security line at a snail's pace, heading for a pat-down.

Possibly this makes us remember that zooming across the country in a plane is a miracle and a privilege, not a hassle. And that we should respect our fellow humans, not suspect them. And that we should meet every day with gratitude - not just one autumnal Thursday per year.

I read a recent review of Armistead Maupin's latest book, where I found this quote:

“It all goes so fast,” Mary Ann thinks. “We dole out our lives in dinner parties and plane flights, and it’s over before we know it. We lose everyone we love, if they don’t lose us first, and every single thing we do is intended to distract us from that reality.”

Yes - that's reality. So we give thanks for every one of our wonderful crowd of family and friends, and for every experience that comes our way. We love you - pass it on.

1 comment:

  1. Well said my friend, as always. Our lives are indeed “doled out at dinner parties and on plane flights.” I try to never forget how blessed I am – and thanks for the reminder that even a jovial TSA Agent can inject a bit of laughter and gratitude into our lives…
    Love it! Happy Thanksgiving, I’m sure I’ll see you around soon!

    ReplyDelete